Friday, July 18, 2008

Ledger is remembered by co-stars

Heath Ledger as the joker in The Dark Knight.

Screaming fans lined up in Manhattan to catch a glimpse of the stars of the latest Batman movie 'The Dark Knight' at its U.S. premiere on Monday (July 14).

Actor Christian Bale, who plays Bruce Wayne, also known as Batman, talked about the excitement leading up to the release.

"It's great. I hope it lives up to their expectations, you know it's wonderful to feel, when you have worked on something so hard and it's been a great cast, great film makers like Chris Nolan, and his brother Jonah Nolan, that it is appreciated. I hope it is but you know, let's not speak too soon," said Bale.

He took a moment to remember his late co-star Heath Ledger, who died earlier this year. Bale talked about the experience of working with Ledger on the film.

"Just his commitment you know. He was a wonderful character, great company. I wish and I expected to be friends with him for many years. It is tragic he is not here but I am here to see his talents and celebrate it and I hope everybody will, " said Bale.

'The Dark Knight,' directed by Christopher Nolan, follows Batman as he sets out to destroy organised crime in Gotham City for good. Bruce Wayne finds himself falling prey to the criminal mastermind known as the Joker, played by Ledger.

Veteran British actor Sir Michael Caine talked about the Oscar buzz surrounding Ledger. "My feeling is that he will get a nomination. I'd be very surprised if he didn't. I would be very surprised if he didn't get the Oscar. He has my vote anyway. I think it's the best performance of a villain I have ever seen and I saw it first on set. Which is a bit of a surprise. With Heath, we'd be sitting talking between takes and its just like you and me and then suddenly he gets up without any preparation and bang, he is this extraordinary character. Wait till you see it," said Caine.

Aaron Eckhart, who plays Harvey Dent in the movie, was emotional on the carpet ahead of the screening. "I'm so sad he's not here with us and doing these interviews right now. But we are going to honour him tonight," said Eckhart.

Actress Maggie Gyllenhaal also had great memories of the late Ledger. "He was so so free in a way that I think is so unusual for even the greatest actors so being around someone like that and acting with someone like that is really inspirational and fun," said Gyllenhaal.

Actor Gary Oldman, who plays Lieutenant James Gordon in the new Batman film, said he was confident people would enjoy the film.

"Pretty good really. It feels fantastic.I think it is going to be a hit movie," said Oldman.

Source: http://www.timesnow.tv

No comments: